You have been in your role as the CIO for Premier University for almost six months. In that time, you have managed to create a small information security team, and incident response is one of the team’s strengths. Unfortunately, the repercussions for the data breach that occurred almost a year ago continue to plague you.Premier University recently received a letter from the Department of Education, asking the university to explain the circumstances of the data breach and how the institution handled the breach. The letter also referenced the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA). You know that the institution must follow GLBA provisions to ensure the security and confidentiality of student financial aid information. That requirement is part of the contract for administering federal student financial aid that Premier University has signed. You also know that the Department of Education Office of Federal Student Aid issued an informational memo about these requirements in February 2020.
The Premier University president has asked you to outline GLBA data safeguarding requirements and why they are important to implement to protect student financial aid data. The president has also asked for your opinion on the ease with which Premier University can implement the safeguarding requirements.For this part of the project:
- Review the “Enforcement of Cybersecurity Requirements under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act” memo and the links within the memo: https://ifap.ed.gov/electronic-announcements/022820EnforcCyberReqGrammLeachBlileyAct
- Create a professional report that addresses the following:
- The university’s GLBA data safeguarding requirements
- Why the data safeguards are important to implement to protect student financial aid data
- Your opinion on the ease with which Premier University can implement the safeguarding requirements to reduce risk; rate the ease of implementing each safeguard on a scale of easy, medium, or hard
- In the report, include any sources you consulted.
- Internet access
- Course textbook
- Format: Microsoft Word (or compatible)
- Font: Arial, size 12, double-space
- Citation Style: Follow your school’s preferred style guide
- Length: Minimum 6 to 8 pages